We burn incense sticks almost regularly at our homes, workplaces, while meditating, practicing yoga or cleansing our space from negative energy.
But have you ever considered what you inhale while burning incense?
Have you thought about how these incense sticks are made?
Lets understand the process of making incense & decide which one to buy.
Certain researchers have compared incense smoke to be more harmful than cigarettes, since incense burning has religious and spiritual associations, sometimes the lines between the facts can get blurred.
Before making any statements let’s define the purpose of burning incense sticks.
Why do we burn incense?
And it is burnt for different purposes like for aroma, for a feel good factor, for religious and spiritual purposes, the most of the reasons can be exclusive and inclusive.
Now the question is which one is beneficial & which one is harmful for health.
You will find two types of incense in the market- synthetic and natural.
Let’s define both.
What are synthetic incense sticks?
Synthetic incense sticks are created with either a mixture of natural and synthetic materials or are created entirely with synthetic materials.
Inhaling smoke from artificial materials over long periods of time is dangerous for the health.
What are Natural incense sticks?
Incense sticks made with dried herbs, woods and resins are said to be Natural incense sticks. Resin is known to be the purest form of incense.
Also look for few of these ingredients in the incense sticks - dried sap and solidified oils from plants and trees, chunks of wood or herbs and grasses.
What you shouldn't do :
- Don’t be fooled by the robust pretty scents of artificial materials.
- Inhaling smoke from artificial chemicals isn't smart for your health.
- Do not go for heavy smoke incense sticks.
- If the incense stick is 'dipped' during a sturdy smelling fragrance oil it is best to avoid it.
Note: If you like incense, continue the natural or low smoke brands and burn them moderately.
What you should do :
Finding top quality, healthy incense sticks is usually quite a challenge.
- Hunt for the words ‘natural incense sticks’ on the packet. This could mean that the sticks solely contain natural ingredients - that is after all the best possible for your health.
- Dig a bit additional and see wherever the fragrance comes from.
- If you're trying to find the most effective incense sticks for your health- search for incense that's created solely with 'pure herbs'.
Note: Pure flavour incense additionally burns cleaner with a whiter smoke or a sublime 'cloud'.
The Final Checklist you need to select the purest incense for yourself:
- Check the “ingredient” list.
- Know the process of making the incense (you can visit company’s website)
- Check for the word “Natural”
- Check if the incense sticks are “dipped” in essential oils. If yes, say NO to it.
- Check if it is made with “pure herbs”.
And there you have the complete checklist of what to look for when buying incense sticks & how to differentiate between the artificial & natural ones.
I hope this article has helped you. If you have any questions at all, feel free to post them below and I will do my best to answer them.
Browse our premium all-natural organic incense sticks.