With old age, our mobility gets compromised, and doing traditional yoga with all its complex poses might be a challenging task.
But do not let this hindrance stop you from practicing yoga, after all, it is one of the best workouts for your HOLISTIC Well being.
Over the years yoga has evolved and adapted itself to suit the needs and requirements of all kinds of people.
One of the recent development in the world of yoga is SOFA YOGA specifically designed to cater to senior citizens and people with low mobility.
Next time when you sit on your sofa, ditch your TV remote and indulge in these 10 easy yoga poses to fortify your mind, body, and soul.
Or even better practice these poses with your television ON. An excellent way to shoot two birds with one stone.
Give this yoga a TRY and who knows it could end up being your favorite pastime.
Check out our blog on 28-day Chair Yoga For Seniors
Apps to get you started with sofa yoga
If you need help from a professional then you can download these two apps and follow their procedure to avail of the services of experts.
Or else just doing the yoga poses mentioned in this blog will be more than enough to get you started.
What Is Sofa Yoga
It is a gentle practice of doing yoga from the comfort of your sofa.
Designed for people with low mobility or who suffer from chronic conditions like arthritis.
It is one of the best workouts to keep you healthy, without exerting too much pressure on your body.
Provides you support so that it is easy for you to maintain balance while doing various yoga poses.
All the yoga poses in this blog can be performed by people with any flexibility levels. However, don’t exert or stretch yourself too much and stop immediately in case you experience any pain.
Benefits Of Yoga For Seniors
Yoga can help you overcome almost all types of illnesses and conditions that you are already suffering from. Regular practice also helps you to prevent the onset of a host of other ailments.
Note: If you are suffering from any serious condition then do check with your doctor before beginning your practice.
Let us see how you can upgrade yourself physically, mentally, and spiritually with yoga.
1. Increase Your Flexibility and Mobility
With age, the stiffness in the joints and muscles increases. DOING yoga will allow your muscles to stretch and contract so that they become strong and flexible. Moreover, it helps to release any physical tension stored in the body.
2. Keeps Your Stress Levels Under Check
Yoga is known to calm our minds and relax our bodies. Deep breathing while practicing the pose will reduce anxiety, and lower your blood pressure and hypertension.
3. An excellent way to address your sleep issues
As we age we no longer sleep as peacefully as babies. If you have sleep issues, try doing yoga before you sleep. It will tire your body and help you to fall asleep quickly, also Deep breathing during practice can significantly improve the quality of your sleep.
4. Fosters Mindfulness in your life
Loss of memory is pretty common as you age, yoga is one of the best ways to be aware of your thoughts and feelings and stay connected to what is happening around you.
5. Kicks out the Depression from your Life
When you exercise, your body produces endorphins popularly known as the happy hormones. It uplifts your mood and makes you feel good. During the times you feel lonely and sad, a half-hour session with yoga will refresh you.
6. Eases minor aches and pains
Aches and pains are the results of inflammation of tissues. Yoga is the combination of relaxing the body through deep breathing and exercising the body by practicing poses. This combination is an excellent way to reduce inflammation.
7. Reducing Falls by strengthening your core
Falling is one of the major causes of injuries in adults. Yoga practice will strengthen your bones so that you are able to maintain balance while walking or standing.
8. Keep Your Diabetes Under Check
Diabetes is a common condition during old age, yoga can help you with the increase in the production of insulin.
9. Improves blood circulation
When you move your body to perform a range of poses, it improves your blood circulation and increases the supply of oxygen to your body parts.
10. Good for your heart and lungs
Yoga postures allow your heart to pump blood effectively and deep breathing is a boon for the health of your lungs.
You might also be interested in reading our blog on 30 Types Of Yoga and Their Benefit
Sofa Yoga Position And Technique
While doing any of the poses or stretches, if you feel any discomfort or pain, stop immediately and consult your doctor in case you are suffering from any severe condition.
Make sure to lightly stretch your body parts before practicing any pose.
1. Neck Circles
- Sit with your back straight. Keep your hand on your knees.
- Gently start rotating your neck clockwise to form a circle.
- Repeat this to form 3 to 5 circles.
- Repeat it in an anti-clockwise direction as well.
2. Seated Forward Bend
- Sit at the edge of the sofa. Take care not to slide off.
- Keep your back straight.
- Place your hands on the thighs.
- Inhale and lengthen your spine and while exhaling gently lean from your hips and bring your chest near the thighs.
- Take 3-5 deep breaths in this pose and slowly go back to the sitting position.
3. Warrior Pose
- Sit with your back straight. Your legs should be joined together.
- Inhale deeply and raise both your arms from either side and join them on top of your head.
- Join both your palms. Exhale and bring your hands back down.
- Repeat this 5 times.
4. Single Leg Stretch
- Sit at the edge of the sofa. Take care not to slide off
- Stretch your right leg in front of you, your right knee should be as straight as possible. Your left leg should be folded at 90* and the sole of your left foot should touch the ground.
- Inhale and lengthen your spine and exhale and slowly bend from your waist and try to touch both your hands to your right foot.
- Stay in this position till the count of five and slowly come up.
- Repeat this for your left leg as well.
5. Seated Twist
- Sit at the edge of the sofa. Keep some distance between your legs.
- Raise both your hands on either side and bring them to shoulder level.
- Inhale and lengthen your spine, exhale, and twist your upper body to the left side.
- Look over your left shoulder
- Now lower both your hands. Your left hand will rest at the top of the backrest of your sofa and your right hand should rest on your left knee.
- Do this for 5 counts and repeat this for the right side.
6. Sitting Cat Pose
- Sit comfortably on the sofa with back straight, and feet on the floor at 90 degrees.
- Rest both your hands on their respective knees.
- Inhale and move your stomach forward, arch your back, and bring your chest forward. Try to look at the ceiling.
- As you exhale, round your shoulders and pull your abdomen into your spine, tuck your tailbone under, and touch your chin to the chest.
- Repeat this 5 times.
7. Seated Triangle Pose
- Sit at the edge of the chair. Your legs should be joined.
- Raise your hands on either side and bring them to shoulder level.
- Inhale and lengthen your spine and exhale and twist your torso to the right side.
- Now try to bend forward and try to touch your left hand to your feet, if not possible then bend how much is possible for you.
- Your right hand should be straight and face the ceiling.
- Count till five and come back slowly to the original position and repeat this on the left side as well.
8. Mountain Pose
- Sit comfortably on the sofa with the back straight.
- Keep a comfortable distance between legs.
- Inhale and raise your hands on either side and bring them to the top of your head and join your palms together.
- Hold this for 5 counts, exhale, and slowly bring your hands down.
9. Gyan Mudra
- Sit comfortably. Back straight.
- Touch the tip of your index finger to the tip of your thumb.
- Place them on your thighs.
- Close your eyes and Inhale deeply and while exhaling chant OMMMMMM for as long as you can.
- Lie comfortably on the sofa.
- Keep a comfortable distance between your legs.
- Keep your hands beside you with palms facing upwards.
- Keep your body relaxed and take deep breaths.
- One by one starting from your head, face, shoulder, hands, waist, thighs, knees, calves, and feet, relax all the parts of your body.
- Lay in this position for 5 to 10 mins.
Also, read our blog on Best Meditation Cushion
Tips for Practicing Sofa Yoga
- Do all the poses slowly and gently.
- Keep a gap of two hours between your meals and yoga practice.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes.
- Skip any pose that causes pain and discomfort.
- Don’t exert yourself too much.
- Focus on taking deep breaths while doing yoga.
- Relax for a couple of minutes between two poses.
- Do any 5 to 6 poses at a time and keep on rotating them to avoid boredom.
- At the end of each session do Shavasana to relax your body.
- For better results do yoga at least 4 to 5 times a week.
- You can enhance your practice by playing soft music in the background.
- Modify the pose as per your capacity and flexibility.
- Respect your body’s limit.
- The most important tip is to ENJOY YOUR PRACTICE.
Also, check out our blog on How To Sleep Under 40 Seconds
What are you waiting for? Grab your sofa and make these poses a part of your life. Trust me your body and mind will love you for it.
Initially, you might face some challenges, but if you SHOW UP regularly and follow the tips you can easily overcome them.